Regulations for obtaining visas change from time to time, so you should always consult your local Czech Embassy/Consulate or the website of the Ministry of the Interior of the Czech Republic (MOI) for the latest information regarding visa requirements.


US students who are staying in the Czech Republic for a period shorter than 90 days are exempt from obtaining a visa.  US students with an expected stay in the Czech Republic for longer than 90 days have to apply for a long-term student visa. The application process can take up to 60 days, so we advise that you apply well in advance to avoid any delays.  Students staying for a period longer than 3 months can also apply for a long-term residence permit for study purposes.

Renewing/Extending a Visa

Your long-term residence permit can be repeatedly extended, though only for a maximum period of 2 years after each renewal. Applications for extension to the validity of long-term residence permits should be filed at an MOI office inside the Czech Republic.


Registering with the Foreign Police

If you are staying in the Czech Republic for longer than 30 days, you must register at the Foreign Police Department within 3 days of your arrival in the country.  This obligation does not apply if the person or organization providing your accommodation submits the registration form on your behalf (e.g. if you are staying at a university dormitory, hotel, etc.)You can find your closest Foreign Police office here.

Changes in Student Status

If you want to stay in the Czech Republic for a purpose other than being a student, you are obliged to apply at the MOI (Ministry of the Interior) for a new long-term residence permit.  You can find the closest MOI office here.   For detailed information regarding status change, refer to this link.



All US citizens are exempt from visa requirements if they are entering the Schengen Area (of which Czech Republic is a part) for less than 90 days. Please note that US travel documents have to have been issued within the last ten years and valid for at least three months after planned departure from the Czech Republic. For more information, please refer to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.


Working while Studying

US students enrolled in a full time degree programme are allowed to work in the Czech Republic without an employment card or blue card.

US exchange students (short term study programmes) do not need an employment permit if they are 26 years old or younger and their work in the Czech Republic does not exceed 7 consecutive calendar days or a total of 30 days within a calendar year.


Medical Insurance

All foreign students who intend to stay in the Czech Republic for more than 90 days are required to purchase comprehensive health insurance coverage. You will be asked to submit proof of Czech health insurance when you apply for your visa.  For detailed information, please refer to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. You may apply online and receive your documents anywhere in the world.  Companies usually offer student discounts to students ages 17-26. The following are some recommended insurance companies:

If you are staying in the Czech Republic with the Fulbright scholarship program, medical insurance is not required.


Living costs

Living costs in the Czech Republic are quite affordable and lower than in many other places in the EU. The average cost of living for students is around $400 USD/month. This includes meals, accommodation, public transport, and cultural activities. Prices may vary depending on your location, accommodation choices, lifestyle, and spending habits.