Study in English language




Get a degree at MENDELU!

Mendel University in Brno has 5 faculties and one institute:

FA     FFWT     FBE

FRDIS     FH     ILL


MENDELU also runs a variety of its own facilities, such as Forest Training Enterprise in KřtinyUniversity Training Farm in ŽabčiceBotanical Garden and Arboretum, Mendel Pavilion,...

Tuition fees

Tuition fees for English study programmes may vary in accordance with the study programme and the current exchange rate. 

All degree programmes taught in Czech and completed within the standard length of study are free of charge for all accepted students. The only condition is a successful entrance exam in the Czech language. The Institute of Lifelong Learning MENDELU offers preperatory intensive Czech language course for foreigners



  • There are various scholarship opportunities for studying in the Czech Republic.
  • South Moravian Centre For International Mobility runs various scholarship programs for foreign students. Students interested in Ph.D. study can apply for scholarship in the program Brno Ph.D. Talent, foreign students interested in Master or Ph.D. study held in Czech language can apply for Scholarship for international students. We run also three Czech centers abroad, where students can learn Czech language with a native-speaking teacher.
  • Other current possibilities:
  • International Visegrad Fund - Scholarships for Citizens of the fol­low­ing coun­tries: Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Georgia, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, the Russian Federation, Serbia and Ukraine (please note that the same rules are applic­a­ble to Kosovar schol­ars). Successful appli­cants within this scheme will receive schol­ar­ships of €2,300/semester and the cor­re­spond­ing host universities/institutes receive €1,500/semester/scholar. Scholars who will have to travel to the host insti­tu­tion more than 1,500 km are also eli­gi­ble for one-time Travel Grant.
  • Fulbright Commision - for US citizens
  • You can also find information directly from the Czech Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports
  • According to the principles of equality, international students are entitled to all types of scholarship (except social scholarship), provided they meet all the conditions stipulated by the Scholarship Regulations of Mendel University in Brno.
  • Studyportals scholarship tailored specifically to students hoping to study abroad.


Admission requirements

Admission requirements differ at each faculty and are given by the Regulations of the Dean which contain admission requirements, deadlines, date and form of the entrance examination. This information has to be published on the faculty notice board and on the internet in accordance with Act No. 111/1998. The university sometimes organizes an entrance examination at the Czech Consulate in students' home country in order to relieve them from additional expenses.

General requirements

The basic conditions for admission to university study are stipulated in the Act No. 111/1998 Coll on Higher Education Institutions and on Amendments and Supplements to Other Acts (the Higher Education Act) as follows:

  • Admission to study in Bachelor's degree programmes is conditional upon the completion of full secondary education or full secondary specialized education.
  • Admission to a Master's degree programme following a Bachelor's degree programme is conditional upon the completion of a Bachelor's degree programme.
  • Admission to a Doctoral degree programme is conditional upon the completion of study in a Master's degree programme.


Admission process*

  • Certified copies of original certificates and transcript of records 
  • Proof of English proficiency
  • Copy of passport
  • Non-refundable application fee
  • Entrance admission exam

* This is a general procedure. The faculty you have chosen may have additional requirements, so it is recommended to see their website too.


Application deadlines

Please, see the deadlines for your faculty in e-Application, or contact your faculty coordinator.



  • Students from EU countries

Students from EU countries are usually not required to have a visa for the purpose of study.

  • Students from non-EU countries

Students from non-EU countries are required to have a long-term VISA for the purpose of study or a long-term RESIDENCE PERMIT for the purpose of study in order to travel to the Czech Republic (or to other Member States of the European Union) to study.

1. Where to apply for a long-term VISA or a long-term RESIDENCE PERMIT

  • At the Embassy or Consulate of the Czech Republic in your home country.
  • Please check the list of Czech embassies and consulates on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

2. When to apply 

  • As soon as possible, after reading all the instructions properly and preparing all required documents.
  • The process of obtaining a long-term VISA or a long-term RESIDENCE PERMIT can take up to 60 days.

3. How to apply

  • The registration for a meeting for filling an application for a long-term VISA or a long-term RESIDENCE at the Embassy or Consulate is done by means of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, if this system is available in the country concerned. Contact the Embassy or Consulate of the Czech Republic in your home country to find out if they use the VISAPOINT system. In that case, register for a meeting for filling an application as soon as possible!

4. What to apply for - a long-term VISA or a long-term RESIDENCE PERMIT. Not a short-term VISA!!! 

a) long-term VISA for the purpose of study

  • The form is available here
  • Students pay no consular fee for a long-term VISA for the purpose of study. (but please note that there is 2,500 CZK fee charged for a long-term visa for purpose other than study).
  • The required Emergency travel medical insurance is cheaper (around 100 Euro per 6 months for students under 26 years of age, depending on the insurance company) than the Comprehensive/complex travel medical insurance required in case of applying fo a residence permit. (please read the guidelines "Travel medical insurance for incoming students")
  • VISA must be picked up before your departure personally by the student at the Embassy or Consulate of the Czech Republic in your home country.
  • A long-term VISA is intended for exchange students whose period of stay lasts from 3 months to 1 year.
  • Detailed information on the requirements for an application for a long-term VISA can be found here: 

On the webpages of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

On the webpages of the Ministry for the Interior


  • b) long-term STAY (RESIDENCE PERMIT) for the purpose of study

    • The form is available here
    • The consular fee is 500 CZK. Additional 2,500 CZK is charged after arrival, for the residence permit card.
    • The required Comprehensive/complex travel medical insurance is more expensive (around 200 Euro per 6 months for students under 26 years of age, depending on the insurance company) than the Emergency travel medical insurance required in case of applying for a long-term visa. (please read the guidelines "Travel medical insurance for incoming students")
    • The RESIDENCE PERMIT must be picked up within 3 working days after your arrival in the Czech Republic personally by the student at the Department for Asylum and Migration Policy of the Ministry of the Interior. Biometric data are taken during the visit, and within further 30 days the student is invited to pick up the biometric residence card.
    • A long-term RESIDENCE PERMIT is intended for exchange students whose period of stay lastsfrom 6 months up to 1 year.
    • Detailed information on the requirements for an application for a long-term RESIDENCE PERMIT for the purpose of study can be found here:

    On the webpages of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

    On the webpages of the Ministry for the Interior



Your health insurance should entitle you to visit any general practitioner or dentist in the Czech Republic. If you have any specific problem, you should still first visit a general practitioner, who will examine you and then, if necessary, arrange for you to see a specialist.

Unless your problem is urgent, it is recommended to make an appointment in advance on the phone. Remember to bring your insurance card (or any document proving your insurance) with you. If the doctor asks you to pay on spot, do not forget to get your receipt/payment confirmation from them and keep it. You will need this document for your insurance company, which will refund you the amount of money.

More information


Medical Care

Please carry your medical travel insurance card (and your passport or a national identification card) with you all the time. 

You may be asked to pay in cash when you visit the doctor, all costs will be reimbursed from your health insurance company on your return (please make sure to ask the doctor for the receipt for the reimbursement purposes). The reason is that not all doctors have an agreement with all insurance companies.

Doctors in Brno:
  • MUDr. Tomáš Klobas, Drobného 312, 602 00 Brno, tel: 777 173 233, e-mail:,

    surgery hours: Mon, Tue, Wed 7am-2pm; Thu 12am-6pm; Fr 7am-2pm; students pay the fee to the doctor themselves.

  • English-speaking General Practitioner: Otakar Ach-Hübner, Mendlovo nám. 17 (building in the middle of the square, 3rd floor), 544 525 335,
  • English-speaking dentist: Jan Kopřiva, 702 348 064,, Kociánka 93/2, Brno.
  • Emergency service (hospital, general doctors, dentist 24/7): Úrazová nemocnice Brno, 545 538 111, Ponávka 6.
  • Hospital: Surgal Clinic, 532 149 333,,, Drobného 38-40, English speaking, near the university.
  • Hospital: Bohunice Hospital (the biggest in Brno),  532 231 111,, Jihlavská 20.
  • Emergency Pharmacies 24/7, Koliště, 545 424 811 or Bašty 413/2, 542 213 531.


Living in Brno

Brno - city in the heart of Europe 

  • Brno is the second largest city in the Czech Republic
  • the 6th safest city in the world according to the Global Peace Index 2016
  • a rich cultural life
  • a city of students with 6 public and 8 private universities
  • a modern and rapidly developing centre of industry, trade, science, information technology, research and innovation


Cost of living in Brno/Czech Republic

The cost of living in the Czech Republic is quite low in comparison with some other EU countries.

The average monthly cost of living is about 320 – 680 EUR (it depends on the individual student’s lifestyle) including accommodation, food, transport and entertainment.

E.g. one loaf of bread costs approximately 1 EUR, one half-litre of beer also costs 1 EUR, the soup in the canteen starts at 0,2 EUR and the main course in the canteen costs about 1,5 EUR.

See some examples of prices.


Accommodation in Brno

Students can choose between two types of accommodation in Brno – student halls of residence or private housing.

Halls of residence

MENDELU halls of residence in Brno and in Lednice offer accommodation in 1 to 4-bed rooms. There are 588 beds located directly on campus, while the others can be reached within 15 minutes by public transport.


Price: After your arrival the accommodation contract has to be signed in the Accommodation Office. Please, be aware that there is a one-month notice period in the contract! The price for a bed is approximately 3500 CZK per month. A list of prices (in Czech language) may be found here.


ParkingThere is parking in front of the halls.


Internet: All rooms are equipped with Internet connections. In the entrance hall of block D there are 2 Internet kiosks for quick information searching and Wifi connection.You need to have Internet patch cable RJ-45!


Communal facilities which can be used:

  • Washing machines
  • Dryers
  • Irons and ironing boards
  • Clotheshorses
  • The storage room for bicycles in block A
  • Gym in block B
  • Billiard room in block B
  • Snack counter in block D
  • Sports grounds between block B and D

Every room is equiped with bedding (pillow, blanket), table, chair, lamp and wardrobe (without coat hangers). There is no equipment (like knives, plates or pots and towels) in the kitchen; these things have to be provided by the students. You can borrow bed linen that you can change at the beginning of each month.

John Amos Comenius Hall

You can find more information here

  • JAK - Block D - main reception

The great majority of international students stay at JAK halls. The hall is 1.5 km far from the university (two stops by trolleybus 25 or 26).

Address: Kohoutova street, number 3-11, district Černá Pole, Brno 613 00. The hall consists of 4 blocks A, B, C and D and the canteen.

Blok A: newly renovated, two double rooms share bathroom, toilet and kitchenette with a fridge and hot places.

Block B and C: double rooms with washbasin, there is communal kitchen and sanitary facilities on each floor and there are fridges in the kitchen.

Block D: triple bedrooms with bathroom, toilet and kitchenette including a fridge and hot plates.

Joseph Taufer Hall

The second part of the Mendel University halls of residence in Brno is 3 km far from the university grounds (you can get there by tram number 12 and you have to change for trolleybus number 25 or 26).

Address: J. Babáka street, number 1861/3, district Královo Pole, Brno 612 00.


The Academy Hall

The Academy Hall is situated in the university building “Z”, in the city district called Černá Pole. The hall is 1 km far from the university grounds (2 tram stops) and offers the accommodation for 283 students. The Faculty of Regional Development and International Studies is also located in the building “Z” and you can easily get from the main campus to the Academy Hall through the arboretum.

Address: Tř. Generála Píky, number 7, district Černá Pole, 613 00 Brno.


Private living

There are a lot of places to live in shared rooms or private flats in Brno. The cost of a single room in a student flat ranges from 160 to 240 EUR per month. A private flat costs about 400 EUR per month or more.

The following links can be helpful when looking for private accommodation: FlatioYoung SpaceForeigners, some Facebook groups: Flats BrnoFlats for rent Brno